Thursday, June 4, 2009

Goodbye Grasshopper



Grasshopper is dead.

It’s funny, the people I’ve been in love with in my life. For those of you who read my response to Jason’s post of last Sunday, you know that I can get a little, um, obsessive. It started a long long time ago actually. As a Myers Briggs INFP, apparently it’s normal for me to do this. And I’m glad to say that I don’t buy into the fantasies anymore; there is a little wisdom that comes with age. (Although it really hasn’t been THAT long.) In the past, I have whipped up dream lovers who are perfect in every way. No one can compete, really, with my perfect fantasy lovers. (No one, that is, except Marlow, my cat. He is truly a perfect companion.)

This made me into a groupie at one time, this tendency to obsess. My first true love was Paul McCartney. I had our wedding all planned out, I was devasted when he left me and married Linda. I think I was 10 at the time, and I had already been in love with Paul for many years. So, I left him for Donny Osmond. He was too teeny bop to keep my interest however, so I had to ditch him for Elton John. I had a lot of company in my adoration of Elton when I was a freshman in high school. Me, Janice B., and Diane M. formed the core Elton John fan base in freshman glee club, and I’m sure we drove poor Mr. Faulk up the wall with our glasses and constant singing. Elton even taught me how to sing! In fact, Ted H. could play Elton like nobody’s business, and so I’d come into the choir room at lunch time when Ted was banging away on the piano and I'd wail away at the top of my lungs (Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me, Burn Down the Mission, Love Lies Bleeding, etc, were all among our lunchtime repertoire.) In 10th grade, I dated an Elton look alike, but he was clearly not the real thing, so I dumped him too. (My first REAL boyfriend Mark, reminded me about that the other day, and the sparring that went on between them over me. Mark won that little battle. ;-)

That’s when I met and fell in love with Kwai Chang Caine, the gentle Shaolin warrior who fought evil racist bastards in the 19th century American west. As an Idealist, he was the perfect idol for my young forming self. Not only was he beautiful in a kind of Asian way (which he wasn’t BTW, he was totally Caucasian), he had wisdom, and strength. I never had TV before those years, because my mother didn’t believe in it, but right around 1975, when I was 15, my mother allowed my aunt to give me her old black and white TV and I got to have it in my room. By this time, Kung Fu was already old news, but for me, it was new and I soaked it up like water. I watched every episode several times in reruns. I craved each new ‘teaching’, and was thrilled by the flashback scenes when Caine would be receiving a lesson from the wise Shaolin priest (who happened to be blind, and yet could see better than most).

Grasshopper, as he was called by the priest, became a name that I used time and again when imparting wisdom to my children, although they probably were clueless as to the origin of the name, or why I was using it as I gave advice with my pseudo Chinese accent. (Which was clearly pseudo to them, being half Chinese and having many real Chinese accents around them constantly.) But to me, although in jest when I used it, there was something about the wisdom in those TV teachings that always stayed with me, and perhaps helped to mold me into who I am today. Perhaps it influenced my interest in Asian cultures, and maybe even in Asian men, since I married one. Not sure about any of that, and I don’t really want to speculate too much. (Although my ex did become a double blackbelted Kung Fu master, and, by the way, just successfully summited Mt. Everest, and though we’ve had our differences, some of them disastrous, he is still my friend and the father of my kids and I’m very proud of him and glad he is home safe.)

I never did outgrow Kwai Chang Caine, and perhaps it is for that reason that I shed a tear today when I found out that David Carradine purportedly hung himself in a Bangkok hotel room closet. Maybe we will never know why, or even if David Carradine killed himself, but I, for one, am sorry to see him go. Goodbye Grasshopper. I hope you find peace.

20 comments:

Mike Golch said...

bummer,that he had to take his own life.

christopher said...

For David

I was small when you
came into my house with your
calm face, slow movements,
your plain clothes and truth
in the midst of confusion
and outright evil.

Now you've hung yourself
in a closet. I never
expected that, never
dreamed your mastery
would fall so far short of need,
nor of you just gone.

RachelW said...

This is a lovely memorial. I don't know him, or of him really, but I do understand how people can become iconic, and how reluctantly we let them go.

Noelle Dunn.... A Poet in Progress said...

May he rest in peace. :(

Karen said...

I am so sorry about David Carradine's sad end.

It's nice to see another view of your younger self, Cat.

Linda S. Socha said...

What a beautiful post cat. I love the way you write and I especially like the sharing in this one.

It can be difficult to let our fantasy go. I know this on many levels.

Hope your weekend is a good one
Linda

K.Lawson Gilbert said...

Lovely tribute, Cat. I liked watching Kung Fu. I am sorry for him that his death was so tragic.
(I was so in love with Paul, too)

JR's Thumbprints said...

I took the Myers Briggs INFP test and didn't score in the typical range for a prison employee. According to my score, I, in all likely hood, wouldn't survive working in a prison. Go figure - eighteen years later and I'm still there.

As for Kung Fu, David Carradine, what a sad way to go.

steveroni said...

A memorial worthy of a worthwhile soul. Thank you.

Aniket Thakkar said...

That's a lovely crush list. You already know mine. :D

Luckily for me, I am in love with the characters and not the actors. So they are immortals. :)

Its sad to hear about David though. Bummer. Squeeze Marlow extra tight and take care. :P

PS: "a double blackbelted Kung Fu master, and, by the way, just successfully summited Mt. Everest"... No wonder you married him. :D :D :D

Shadow said...

the things that form us. your post is beautiful in it's honesty and fantasy...

Catherine Vibert said...

Mike-I know, huh? It is controversial though. We shall see...

Christopher-That made me cry! He was quite the role model for us 70's teens and young adults, and it just doesn't add up.

Rachel-Thanks. It was the character really, and Carradine played it well. I never really had a crush on him as an actor, for instance, I had no crush on Bill of Kill Bill, also played by him. But Kwai Chang Caine was endearing in a way unlike most TV characters ever could be. Sad...

Noelle-Ho!

Karen-Thanks! On Facebook, all my high school friends comment there, so we are having a little reminiscence over there. Perhaps it is partially due to Facebook that I've been living up all those old memories lately. The wonders of technology.

Oh Linda, thank you for that sweet compliment. I hope you have a wonderful weekend too.

K. You loved Paul too? :-) What girl didn't in those days, huh? Those big brown eyes and that sweet smile stole more hearts probably than any other rock star in history. I got to tell him I loved him once, from the 6th row of the San Diego Sports arena, when he came through with Wings in 1976. He said thank you! Linda didn't even seem jealous! :-)

JR, are you INFP? Well no matter what type you are, it is amazing you have lasted 18 years. It must be because those dudes give you so much inspiration for your writing. ;-)

Steve E. Thanks Stevaroni. He was I think. And we just don't know the truth here, so its just weird.

Aniket-Well, in this case, it is the character and not the actor that I loved, but it is hard to separate them sometimes. Although as I said, I wasn't in love with Bill or a multitude of other characters he played, or even him really. But somehow, I think it touches us who loved that character then, we all want to know that Truth is Truth, and why would someone who knew that Truth, lived it out in such a character as Kwai Chang Caine, then turn on himself the way he did (if he did). The pennies just don't add up.

Shadow, I know...isn't that so? Thanks. :-)

Margaret said...

Lovely tribute to your 'Grasshopper' Cat!

It was a sad way for him to go. What a shame, what a waste of life.

I had to laugh when I read you were in love with Donny Osmond. Haven't heard his name for years, my sister was madly in love with him too but I thought she was mad in the head. :-D

Anonymous said...

wow..you scare me..I mean that in the nicest way, cause, well, your kinda me. I too grew from Donny to Elton (and even in my blog name you see Elton's touch) and i too followed Caine..i can't beleive he is gone

Vesper said...

What a touching tribute, Cat!

I heard he died but didn't know he took his own life... This makes it even sadder.

As for your "dream lovers" - I can totally relate to this... :-) Mine are characters more than the "real" person behind them.

Anonymous said...

I was saddened by the news.

This is a beautiful self-reflection. I applaud you for writing it.

S.L. Corsua said...

I was devastated when I read it on the news on the internet, and more so when I saw it featured on news programs on TV. (sniff) He was my 'father figure' on black-and-white television. (sniff) I will remember him for the unparalleled kindness in his face. Thanks for sharing this post, Cat.

Julie said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. I didn't know the show, but I know who the actor was. You have written a beautiful tribute.

Catherine Vibert said...

Margaret- She probably was (mad in the head) I know I was then! :-) Thanks.

Jorc-Wow! That is kind of trippy! And yet it explains a lot...

Vesper-I think it is the characters for me as well, for it is what they display that I see and fall for, their poetry, their roles, not so much their actual personalities. In the case of Elton, for instance, I think it was actually Bernie Taupin I loved, because the lyrics! You know?

Jason-Thanks! I must admit this thing really put me in the way back machine.

S.L., It's so good to see you! I know, he did have that wisdom and strength and kindness that is such a wonderful role model for what a woman wants in both a father and a mate. It is sad to see him go. Thanks for visiting!

Julie, you must have been a younger mother than I realized! ;-)

laughingwolf said...

cat... his family says carradine would never kill himself, under any circumstances... it could have been accidental, or even murder

regardless, he is dead... and like you, i watched 'kung fu' religiously, but for different reasons, obviously....

Happy Easter, Pappy

It’s been seven years since you died on Mother’s Day. Mother’s Day and Easter were your favorite holidays. Being in the garden with your fam...