Sunday, May 10, 2009

Breathe


Breathe, breathe in the air,
Don’t be afraid to care,
Leave, don’t leave me,
Look around,
Choose your own ground.
--Pink Floyd

______

“I’m bored.”

“Huh?”

“I want to break up.”

If she was a wall of glass, he had just shattered it. It felt as if he had just hit her over the head with a brick. Her mouth went dry, as the tsunami that was about to come took all her water. Her throat seized up into a tiny o, barely enough room for air, surely not enough air to expand the knot that was forming in her stomach.

“But why?” She managed to push the words out through the narrowing tube.

“No reason, just bored. I have to get to class,” he got up and walked away.

She sat in the quad with the empty lunch tables and didn’t even try to walk to biology class. She stared in disbelief at the long flat topped building in front of her and hoped no one was looking as she put her head on the table and felt a wave of grief work its way up through the muscles of her body. It stopped in her throat. She stood up and walked into the building, past the long rows of lockers and in through the open door of the classroom.

She glanced at the teacher as she headed to her seat, and perhaps in that glance the teacher saw everything because he did not admonish her for her tardiness. She put a layer of plastic over her gaze and pretended to pay attention as thoughts of the last three months flooded her mind. She tried to figure out what she did wrong? Why was he bored?

She was 15, when she met him in sex education class. The format of the seating had half the seats on one side of the room for the girls, facing the other half of the seats, where the boys sat. She was seated across the room from him, and she wanted him, bad. There was something about him that was worldly for a 16 year old. He had an air that was way beyond his years, a confidence in his stride. She did everything she could think of short of asking him out, to get him to notice her. Her opportunity finally came with the Christmas season and a little piece of mistletoe.

“I have some mistletoe,” she gave him a flirty smile and her eyes twinkled up at him. She reached the mistletoe over his head and he leaned in to kiss her. They locked lips for what felt like forever.

A couple of weeks later, after an eternity of waiting, he called.

“What’s up?” he said. Her stomach fell through the floor as she heard his voice, and her blood got thick. They spoke for an hour or so, but it was not likely that she did much talking because she had a bad case of tongue paralysis.

“Do you want to go up to the snow?” he asked her out, and the next day he took his mother’s Volvo and grabbed his best friend, and the three of them drove up to the snow. She was glad his friend was there, because the two of them filled the conversation, and she didn’t have to think of things to say, which was good because the tongue paralysis had grown worse.

The next week, she started going home after school with him on the bus. He lived in a condo complex on the other side of town, with a pool and a rag-a-tag gang of friends. Being a natural alpha type, he was the leader of the gang, and they would all congregate by the pool and smoke bad Mexican pot from across the border. Occasionally his mother would let him provide the crew with Strawberry Daiquiris, and they would all get really drunk and stoned and stare off into space while listening to Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon.

One day, they found themselves alone.

“Let’s go up here.” He showed her a ladder in the garage that went up to a loft that had a mattress. It was dark, and there were no windows. She followed him up the ladder and lay with him on the mattress. He began to kiss her, and her body responded in ways she had not known yet. It was as if someone had removed her blood and replaced it with fizzy honey. She throbbed in desire for him. How could she know then that the intensity of that feeling she was having, him rubbing his body against her, her throbbing desire, would never again be as strong with anyone else? Ever?

“I love you,” he sang along to the Wings song as he stared into her eyes and cupped her face with his hands. And then he said it again, “I love you.” She believed him with all of her heart. There was not an ounce of suspicion that he didn’t mean it.

“I love you so much!” Her body answered, as he lay on top of her, kissing her over and over again, as the words ‘Breathe, breathe in the air’ fell over her ears burning a memory into her brain that would last a lifetime.

“Spend the night with me,” he implored. She lied to her mother about where she was going, and she spent the night with him that very Friday.

“This is foreplay,” he said as he took off her clothes and tenderly touched her body, which at that point was more nervous than full of desire. At some point he put on a condom and pushed himself into her. Her eyes widened, she screamed in pain, he got out. “All that desire was for that?” She wondered how the human race could possibly exist if THAT was what sex felt like.

But the next morning, she wanted him again, and they tried again, and this time he stayed. During the next month, they spent every spare minute together, having sex at every possible opportunity.

“Look, they left a joint for you.” He discovered it on the mantle at the house where she was babysitting after the little girl was tucked into bed. They mixed a drink from the liquor cabinet, smoked the joint and had sex on the beanbag chair while the words, ‘Breathe, breathe in the air’ played over the stereo. The parents of the little girl didn’t ask her back after that night.

“Your cousins are asleep, they won’t notice,” he slipped into her while they were camping along the Colorado River one weekend. And that’s where they were when the condom broke.

“My period is late,” she explained one day a couple of weeks later. His eyes widened.

“Be sure to weigh yourself everyday, and not until after you shit,” he advised. Her period started a few days later. The next day, as usual they were hanging out with the gang having lunch in the quad. The bell rang and everyone got up to go to class. She leaned in for a kiss, but instead of kissing her he said,

“I’m bored.”

She was sitting in biology class when her chin started to quiver. She barely made it home before the tsunami, and when she got home, she threw herself on the bed, buried her head into her pillow and started to sob. She sobbed and sobbed for three days. What she didn’t know then was that a part of her died that day he broke up with her; an innocence that would never return.

Her heart ached as she spent the next two years watching him get with anything blond that moved.
___

30 years later, he sent her a letter and apologized for his lack of regard. “I was a shit back then,” he said, “A walking hard-on.” She reflected back and wondered why she never noticed before the imprint that he had left on her. Had she really been trying to repair the damage by getting with bad boys again and again? She reflected over the men: her domineering ex-husbands, the crazy men that needed fixing, the men with marriage trouble who chose her to ‘dally’. And finally, she wondered if he was a part of the reason she wasn’t really attracted to anyone who could not hold their own ground. After all, she had chosen her own ground, again and again, and could certainly no longer be accused of being boring.

“I’m sorry.” He said again as they chatted on the phone talking over old times. “I’m really sorry for how I treated you, you were a sweet girl and you didn’t deserve it.”

A tear formed in her heart, and it warmed the empty spaces that she had forgotten. The scars that she thought were sealed bled slightly, and though she had forgiven him already, 30 years before, his words kissed the bleeding wounds while he spoke them, and all she could think of was, Breathe…

____

For Mark...thank you.

41 comments:

Karen said...

God, Cat, you open yourself in ways I would never have to courage to do. I hope the writing is cathartic and want to say that you speak for a lot of girls...

Catherine Vibert said...

Hi Karen! Well a few years puts enough distance on it that I figure, why not? It is cathartic to write, very very much.

christopher said...

You would never have noticed me.

Why I Sang In Choir

The way it was then...
I sang in choir and looked for
you in some other
place because no one
near me would touch me as far
as I knew, except
the few odd ones from
the wrong side of my young mind,
could not see you then,
the way you would bloom,
the way you would know my truth
in some distant time.

RachelW said...

Oh, ouch. That was beautifully told, Cat; thank you for the gift of your story. Why are we humans so cruel? I'm glad he grew up and realized it... Hugs!

Geraldine said...

What a bittersweet story this is Cat. And I agree with Karen, you have such courage to open up to this extent. I know I couldn't.

I'm glad you are a survivor. The pain still comes through your words.

Hugs, G

Deepa Gopal said...

I agree with Geraldine...its a bittersweet story. I loved the fluidity in your writing. Its amazing!

Very nice one:)

Janky Wino said...

It's sad, mommy, but I never knew it happened! I love to hear a real story from my mom's life on her special day :)

Catherine Vibert said...

Christopher, we would have been in choir together! I was always in choir. But we don't see each other so clearly when we are young, the way we will bloom. Your poem is stunning, I thank you so much.

Rachel, thanks! I know, huh? We have to learn not to be, for some that seems to come sooner than for others. For some it never comes, I'm so glad it did for him. It makes me smile. :-)

Geraldine, Thank you! I don't think I would have had the courage either before today, then suddenly I did! It must have come from the blue. :-)

Deepa, thank you! Especially for your comment about the writing, that is very good to hear, and I'm glad it flowed that way.

Chris (Janky Wino) you are a gem among gems my shpoo. I love you with all of my heart and wish we could be together today.

Sarah Hina said...

Cat, maybe I'm just having a teary day (Mother's Day and all), but this made me spill over.

If you hadn't loved so completely and been so trusting, it wouldn't have hurt so terribly for you. That's the kicker. When you're in it that deep, you have to accept the total fall. But at 15, you didn't have any way of knowing what that entailed.

The way this relationship threaded into your future relationships and behavior is telling. Wanting so badly to please, and save. But probably never trusting that fully again, because the heart remembers its pain enough to fear the worst, if still hope (and hope again) for the best.

This was so, so well told, btw. It felt like it just flowed from that almost-closed wound. I'm very glad Mark wrote to you. That he grew into a good and honorable man.

Such a poignant photo, too. Do you still identify with that shy, pretty girl?

Karen said...

I came back to ask if that's really the two of you way back when?

Catherine Vibert said...

Sarah, a thousand hugs to you my friend. Reading your response made me all teary too. It's an inner rain kind of day! :-)

Karen, Yup, that's me and Mark in my cousin's International while we were camping at the Colorado River. I believe it was pouring rain outside at that moment, and we were hanging out, playing cards and being goofy.

Catherine Vibert said...

Oh, and Sarah, the answer is, yes and no. ;-) I've certainly braved beyond her, but inside, she is always there.

Calli said...

Cat, you brave and wonderful woman. It's sad how the first pain of a first love can just rip a girl's heart to shreds, in this case, your heart. What is so completely profound is that it sets the stage for all future relationships. And even before that it begins with the male figures in our lives. We are treated a certain way, badly and somewhere along the lines we haven't developed the essential self-esteem and self-respect and that is such a terrible thing for girls. I want so much for all girls to be taught this at a very, very young age. And, I've read many times that it is the men in our lives, our fathers, grandfathers, etc that teach a girl how we should be treated. In other words, it is a father's love that truly sets the stage for how we will expect to be treated in the future, how we see our mother's treated, etc. It is so important!
I hope I've managed somewhat to articulate what it is I was trying to say.

Happy Mother's Day my soul sister!
~ Calli

steveroni said...

There is a second (slow) movement of a string quartet, which was composed as a slow wedding march.

It was played as the couple walked the aisle, and buckets of tears fell that day in that place.

Tha man and woman had been deeply in love early in life, had been separated by events which usually surround a raging war. For those many years they had remembered, thought of one another, during their quiet, private moments, between living life.

Each had married, raised families, and at a very late age became spouseless. Somehow, they saw each other in a crowded, but God-filled place. And they joined together, each with the other, to blissfully end their days in total giving, caring, sharing, loving.

Sorry, I tried to shorten this, but
ya know, your beautiful story reminded me of.....

Thank you, SO much!

Catherine Vibert said...

Calli, I think you right on there. I know my father has a lot to do with my choices, and he is right downstairs here to remind me of that. I love your response, it touches me deeply, and I thank you so much for it my soul sister.

Steve E, that was so amazing. Was that you? How incredibly wonderful is that? I love that you are here my dear friend Stevearoni.

Aniket Thakkar said...

Is that you in the pic?

And this was such a touching post Catherine. Cyber-hugs.

I don't know what to say...

I feel like Hating mark for what he did... but then at least he had the courage to apologize, no matter how much time he took.

You deserve much better. And no one on earth could now call you boring.

Happy Mothers day to you!

Lots n lotsa love.

Aniket Thakkar said...

PS: Give an extra squese to marlow too. :)

Shadow said...

touching story. do we all have someone like that in our past???

JR's Thumbprints said...

"Be sure to weigh yourself everyday, and not until after you shit,” he advised."

What an awful memory to have! Still, it's never too late to apologize.

Catherine Vibert said...

Dear Aniket of a thousand lights, you are so adorable. Yes, we forgive Mark now and don't hate him. He did an amazing thing by saying those words, so now we are very grateful for his presence in my life. Right? It showed that grace exists in all our lives, and that even the 'jerks' can grow up and make things right. A little secret, a young 15 year old inside me will always love him, and will still never understand what happened really, but she forgives him completely because why hang on to pain? Forgiveness is the only way out. Grudges are no good to bear. I never held his teenage hormones against him, then, or now.

Shadow, I think it is a very very common thing. I hoped by writing this in the third person that other women could connect with this piece on a personal level. I'm glad to see it had that effect. Thank you dear Shadow.

Catherine Vibert said...

JR-Thanks. :-)

Aniket Thakkar said...

Ok We forgive him one time. Coz we believe in second chaces. But we sure as hell don't believe in third. Okay?

Deep down inside you are a gentle soul. :)

Catherine Vibert said...

Aniket, that's a deal kiddo.

Anonymous said...

I hope it was healing it write that and open yourself. What I see in that break-up is people working with widely different purposes. Acting out drives and wishes secret even to themselves. Maybe 30 years later, that moment of disalignment came into alignment. Unfortunately, the alignment is the you then and the him now. There is poignancy in that it came 30 years too late.

As for your struggles later, the moral of the story may be that showing strength in the hope of attracting a partner ready to do the same sometimes attracts people who need your strength more desperately. But that's not the balance you're looking for.

Catherine Vibert said...

Jason-Very wise words. And yes, it is cathartic for that 15 year old that still lives within. But you are right, and I think I could see that then, which is why I didn't hold it against him at the time. It still feels good, very good to hear the words. I had no idea I cared, but apparently I did!

I also like what you said about what I am looking for (or not), dead on.

Drizel said...

Really lovely Cat, you have a unique way of putting words down so that the person reading it can even feel it.

Really great:)

Julie said...

Another WOW from me, Cat! This is a very powerful story and beautifully told. It would be a great story for all women, young and old, to read. But I know a few younger girls right now who could benefit from the lesson. The condom breaking was a scary part.

Wonderful writing! Thank you for sharing.

Jennifer said...

Cat, this is one of the most compelling things I've read in a long time. Your voice is beautiful and smart and raw and lovely. Thank you for sharing this. And not just for sharing it but for writing it in such an amazing way.

I've just spent the weekend consoling my younger cousin around the clock as she recovers from her own bad boy breakup. It's hard to convince her that she will be okay. And in no small part because I (also) think it's not going to be a quick fix. So this was emotional reading for me on several fronts. But mostly I just extend to you a ginormous (as my kids would say) hug. I'm so happy this gift came your way.

Catherine Vibert said...

Etain, thank you. :-) I'm glad you're back from your blogging vacation!

Julie, thank you so much, and I encourage you to share the story with anyone who you think might benefit from it. Heck, if I could I'd get the NYT to publish it in their Modern Love column, but I think I'd have to wait in a years long line of rejections for that one. ;-)

Jennifer, your feedback is really good for my ears. I'm so sorry about your cousin. She is going to be raw for a while...ouch. And I have to say, that having raised two young boys, it's not only girls that get treated badly oft times. I watched both of my boys go through some horrific breakups that left them devastated. Being a teenage is just frickin' hard, no two ways about it.

Mark said...

What a truly marvelous thing this internet can be. Amid the horror stories of online pretitors and virus spreading hacktards.... I found a dear old friend that I had wronged in the past.

Thank you Cat for allowing me to address and apologise for the hurt I put upon you , those many years ago.

The grace and warmth that makes up who you are as an adult does not surprise me a bit. You were and still are a beautiful spirit in this crazy world and I will always hold a very special place for you in my heart.

That picture brought back some very fond memories indeed.

Mark

Catherine Vibert said...

Mark! Here you are! -I love that you are comment #30, how poetic! I am smiling and I am grateful that you reached out and found me. Poignant yes, but I am really enjoying these memories we share. :-)

Mark said...

In the immortal words of Dr. Frank-N-Furter... A Scientist.....

"It wasn't all bad, was it ?

bluesugarpoet said...

Did I just get pulled into the magical vortex of story or what? I feel like I'm walking on sacred ground...

so i'll only say here, thank you for sharing your soul...

Catherine Vibert said...

Mark, You're a hot dog, but you weren't really trying to hurt her, Frank Furter. :-P

Blue sugar, :-) Thanks.

Amritorupa Kanjilal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amritorupa Kanjilal said...

dear cat- 1. you are a very very brave writer. as i said before, its not everyone who can take the wounds of their past and turn them into art.

i'm glad you wrote about this. a wound wont stop hurting simply because it is 30 years old. sometimes it needs a salve.

i cannot hate your friend mark. we do a lot of shitty things when we are young. adolescence is a period when we know ourselves so little that its hard to understand other people, far less be sensitive to them. i think he is a very special person if he kept his guilt for 30 years and finally had the courage to apologize. so many would have conveniently trivialized the issue.

i can tell this piece was catharsis for you. i'm so happy you shared your story.
is that you in the picture?

Catherine Vibert said...

LGL- Thanks sweetie, your words mean a lot. Yup that's me. :-)

Fida said...

I was glued to the screen reading your story. I am sorry to hear what that experience did to you and the consequences that sprouted from it. I was mesmerized by your way of writing the story. I almost felt guilty because I wanted to read more and at the same time, I know it's what you went through and I am glad it ended, but oh boy, what a brilliant writer you are...

Catherine Vibert said...

Fida! Welcome back Fida, it's good to see you. Thank you so much.

Vesper said...

Cat, I'm stunned by your strength, by your courage, by the universality of what you describe in your well chosen words. We all have such stories and I praise you for sharing yours with the world.

Catherine Vibert said...

Thanks Vesper! I just get these little bugs sometimes and I must obey. It was good to write, and good to experience, both then, and now in retrospect. Painful, yes, but then what teenage experience comes without pain? Hugs.

Happy Easter, Pappy

It’s been seven years since you died on Mother’s Day. Mother’s Day and Easter were your favorite holidays. Being in the garden with your fam...