Thursday, May 21, 2009

Yesterday, Pt. 2

This is the second episode in a four part series using song lyrics from the 60's and 70's to explore a rekindled friendship from the past.



Black Magic Woman,

The first time ever I saw your face, blue eyes, golden hair, what a tale my thoughts could tell. Fire!! We learned to find love in the back of my van, nights in white satin, beyond Silverlake. I could drink a case of you, I’m a lucky man, still, you turn me on! I think I’m going to love you for a long, long time. (Breathe deep, the gathering gloom…)

Four and twenty years ago, on the 25th day of September, me and Bobby McGee hitchhiked all the way to New Orleans. I took a walk on the wild side, bad company, smoking in the boys room, cocaine running all around my brain, rock and roll all day and party every night. Everybody must get stoned! Then I found myself on my knees, when the lights go down in the city, say a prayer for the pretender.

Day by day…truckin' like the doodah man...

At last I've found you, don’t you know you’ve got a friend? Take a look at my life, I’m a lot like you are; you can't hide your lyin' eyes.

Oh dreamweaver, dream on. Imagine, into this world we’re thrown, we’ll do the roundabout. Have you never been mellow? Mellow yellow, a lighter shade of pale, I honestly love you. It’s alright if you love me, it’s alright if you don’t, try not to get worried, everything’s alright, yes everything’s fine. Don’t fear the reaper, we have got to get ourselves back to the garden, become comfortably numb. We are family, I’m so tired of being alone.

Miss you, please come to Boston,
Piano Man

12 comments:

Sarah Hina said...

Yes!! A true duet of souls and sound.

I love that you let him answer her, Cat. You've sampled the best of so many song lyrics here, and reshaped them into this couple's own sweet melody and refrain. This concept, and its execution, just make me smile so!! :)

I also had a thought about how hard-wired we humans are for romance. That the love is already recorded somewhere deep inside ourselves. It just takes the right person to push play.

Again, beautiful piece!

Catherine Vibert said...

Thanks Sarah! I had so many lyrics left over from thinking about the first one that it just seemed that it had to be!

I think you're right, we are indeed wired for romance, and that is probably why there are so many billions of songs written about love.

I'm so glad you smiled! Yay, then I have attained success! Since you are the queen of romance writing, and I am but a novice, your opinion on this one matters a ton. Thanks! :-)

joaquin carvel said...

i love your way. the way you make me feel, eight miles high - i wanna get lost in your rock n' roll and drift away.

you did that way better - i'm just trying to say these are great.

Sarah Hina said...

Novice??

I say tomato, you say tomahto...

Karen said...

I like your comment to Sarah - you had so many lyrics left over!

In my family, my sister and I are known to have a song for every occasion. No matter what is happening, we have a song to accompany it. I'm sure the rest of the family wish we'd lose those leftover lyrics somewhere! Born in the 50's, we have the music of the 40's to today. That's a lotta lyrics! You were born in the 60's, so you have them, too!

This was great fun!

Aniket Thakkar said...

You can keep on this forever Cat. This is gorgeous.

And though I feel a little strange. I thought many of these to be my time songs. Are you still young enough or am I that old now? I sure hope its the former. lol

Keep on continuing the series. Its hellua fun. :D

Shadow said...

wow. you do this real well. and the story! magnificent!

Catherine Vibert said...

Joaquin, thanks! It sure is fun, I must admit!

Karen-Songs get under my skin, time after time. :-) How wonderful that your family does that, a lot of great joy there with all of you. My mom and her sisters all sing together, it is so wonderful when they all break out into harmony with songs from the 40's and hymns. (They were daughters of a minister so there are always fond hymns).

Sarah- Perhaps its an INFP thing? :-)

Aniket, I hate to inform you that every song included in both of these letters was a hit before your mother was born. Ok, well maybe not THAT long ago, but before your time for sure. Luckily they are all such great songs that they are both timeless and defining of an era.

Shadow, thanks! :-)

Margaret said...

Wow Cat! You've got so much music in you! This is, again, just fantastic.
Reading over all the lyrics brings back memories of all these great songs.

Thanks!!

Calli said...

My oh so creative souls sister is at it again...this is so cool!

...I was obsessed with playing Dreamweaver over and over, perhaps that is why I am such a Dreamer...:)

Lovely weekend, Hon!
~ Calli

Catherine Vibert said...

Margaret, Thanks! And now I can't get them out of my head... :-)

Calli-I think that is why we are soul sisters, because I also listened to that obsessively, and I saw Gary Wright perform it too. Funny, not much became of him after that one hit. I think we resonated with it because we are dreamers indeed. Hugz.

Julie said...

Well, how on earth did I miss out on these? I'm gone for a few days, and you blow me away, Cat! You rock!!

I have to confess my stupidity, though. I had to google "I could drink a case of you." Ha! Ha! I love that title, and it's a perfect fit in that line.

As for the story, this is beautiful and so creative, Cat. And yes...fun. You'll have this going all over the world. But we'll know it originated with our dear Cat:)

Happy Easter, Pappy

It’s been seven years since you died on Mother’s Day. Mother’s Day and Easter were your favorite holidays. Being in the garden with your fam...