Thursday, July 9, 2009

Joan's Debut at The Met

I am taking a break from blogging for most of July, except to participate in Jason Evan's flash fiction contest over at Clarity of Night: In Vino Veritas, (Truth in Wine). For your enjoyment, here is my entry:

Joan's Debut at The Met


“Sing it again,” the master instructed. “Control your vibrato.”

Joan put her hand on the Steinway and tightened the muscles in her back.

“Ah ah ah ah aaaah,” her voice rang up the scale. Sustaining the high note, the tone vibrated her head.

A crack chimed. Her goblet shattered. Wine spilled into the silver tray beneath.

“You are ready for the stage, Diva,” the master grinned.

Joan glowed.

*

Walking toward the subway, Joan dreamed an aria as she passed the Lincoln Center.

“Brava!” the Chagalls applauded from behind the glass, luminous in the empty night.

Joan curtsied to the murals. Raising her head, she found herself staring down the barrel of a gun.

“Your money and your jewelry,” the thief demanded.

Her heart pounded. She tried to scream but no sound came.

The thief rammed the gun into Joan’s ribs. Her back muscles tightened. She opened her mouth, emitting a high note. The thief stepped back in surprise. The note grew stronger, Joan’s body vibrating with the pitch. The thief dropped his gun and fell to his knees, clawing his head. Her voice rose to a crescendo. Windows shattered throughout the center, shards dropping to the courtyard below. She gasped abruptly. Alarms sounded. The thief lay unconscious. Blood dripped from his ears.

Joan’s muscles were taut piano strings. Hearing footsteps approach, she whirled toward the sound. A policeman. Her shoulders dropped in relief.

“Are you alright ma’am?” the officer inquired.

“I could use a glass of wine,” she whispered.

25 comments:

Piratedred said...

Hope to have you back soon..

Karen said...

Loved it there, love it here. Great work!

Shadow said...

who'd have thought singing could save one's life, great story, wishing you luck with your entry. and enjoy the break!

Calli said...

Great work, as always, sis!

enjoy your time!
hugs~
~Calli

joaquin carvel said...

have to echo karen here. enjoy your break (but come back soon)!

Catherine Vibert said...

Thanks everyone! I'm spending the time visiting with my sons. So good to see them one at at time!

JR's Thumbprints said...

What stands out in this flash is your descriptions of Joan as she practices; which in turn, prepares the reader for unfortunate circumstance and quick solution. Enjoy your time with family.

JR's Thumbprints said...

I thought "the" & "the" but my fingers forgot to type the words. God, I hate errors.

K.Lawson Gilbert said...

Some powerful voice!! Loved it! Have a great time, Cat. See you soon.

the walking man said...

What good is talent if it can't save a life...well done Cat.

Julie said...

I wish I had her talent! Blood dripped from his ears! Awesome. I've been trying to come up with a flash for the contest, and I suck at flash. I don't know if I'll make it or not, but I sure enjoyed reading yours.

I also love your descriptions of Joan as she practices. And, of course, the ending rocks. Have a great time with your sons, Cat. I'll miss you. Yes, please come back soon:)

laughingwolf said...

nicely done, cat :)

RachelW said...

Cat, I hope you have a wonderful break. I'm looking forward to seeing your words return here soon! And your llamas, oh yes! :)

Adisha said...

Amazingly done !!! Very potent in it's description of the heroine ... Loved it !

Have fun during your time away :D

Laurel said...

Finally made it over here! I only made that boy I married read one piece-the Kool Aid one- because he will absolutely mutiny if I start plying him with flash fiction but I've told him about a couple that I thought were cool takes and this was one of them.

He actually expressed some interest so congratulations. High praise from the toughest critic who won't read your work;)

Maybe he'll surprise me and read a couple more.

Coy said...

Fun story ...
*** Coy ***

Linda S. Socha said...

Love it! This lady definitely has a voice and it is heard! Great work!

Look forward to seeing you soon!
Linda

S A J I T H said...

this was perfect !!
“Are you alright ma’am?” the officer inquired.

“I could use a glass of wine,” she whispered.


Enjoyed fullyy..
I donno im still smiling reading this.... :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

rebecca said...

How imaginative! A very good read....

rebecca said...

How imaginative! A very good read....

Geraldine said...

Bravo Cat! This is just wonderful. What a great entry for this contest, perfect!

Aimee Laine said...

Kudos on a "Forties Club" entry. :) I actually voted for yours as my #1 pick. :) Can't wait to read more from you!

Vesper said...

What a fantastic idea, Cat. Well done! I enjoyed it very much.

Linda S. Socha said...

king of you! Hoping your visits are totally wonderful!
Linda

Catherine Vibert said...

Everyone, thank you so much! I look forward to checking out all of your blogs (for those who aren't already blog buds here ;-) It was a great contest and I enjoyed the entries and seeing all the different takes on the prompt. Amazing.

Happy Easter, Pappy

It’s been seven years since you died on Mother’s Day. Mother’s Day and Easter were your favorite holidays. Being in the garden with your fam...