Tuesday, December 9, 2008

On the passing of a friend

For Laura Ann Miller Wilson
October 30th 1959-November 26th, 2008




Every once in a while a rare soul enters your life and becomes your inseparable twin and soul mate. That in itself is so rare and so great that the rest of your relationships pale in comparison. It might take half a lifetime before you realize that you may only reach that kind of union with that one person, and only at that one time in your life and that time happened 30 years ago. I’m not talking about romance here, I’m talking about friendship. The kind of friendship where you and that friend are all alone in your little imaginary world, and only the two of you understand it. In that world you two are free, you laugh, you cry, you sing, you shout, you can’t imagine a day spent without the other, everything that happens to you outside the friendship is fodder to talk about, laugh about, and make you closer. You called her ‘Face’ because looking at her, you saw in her face, the very mirror to your soul.

Every relationship since then that you tried to form holding that friendship as an ideal had the other person running away screaming because they could not take the intensity, and for you it was so normal. After a while you acquiesce to a compromise because you realize that you aren’t going to have that friendship ever again with anyone else, and you want friends, even if they exist outside of your private little world. In fact, you begin to realize that pretty much all healthy relationships exist outside that private little world. And yet you and that twin are still friends all these years later, although you see each other very rarely, living several states away. And still, after all of those years of separation, there are things about the two of you that are eerily similar, even though your lives took completely different turns.

“You guys are exactly the same.” Her daughter accused us as she took our photograph only a short year and a half ago.

I was driving through the state of Washington where Laura lived, and planned to come by for a visit. It just so happened that the day I arrived was the day she found out that she had cancer. I sat on the sofa with the family as she told her four daughters, who all seemed to take the news quite well, as if they were completely covered in cotton gauze. It’s a strange kind of news, Laura didn’t seem sick at all, and she was imbued with a sense of optimism as she felt she could cure the growing creature in her breast with positive thinking and raw food. I could tell that her daughters carried that positive sense of optimism with them, and rightfully so! I wanted to support her choices but I also wanted to carry her down to the operating room right then and tell them to cut it out. I knew in my bones that she was going to die, as her mother did before her, and yet I could not speak of this.

I left after the photo shoot, and I never saw her again. She had the surgery and went through chemo, and nothing could save her from her genetic fate. She died two weeks ago. I did not go to her and hold her hand as she died, I did not call her and get every last detail of her dying activities. I knew she was dying and something, my own fear of losing my twin perhaps, kept me from talking to her more. I did talk to her the week before she passed away, and she fell asleep on the phone. This caused one final laugh between us as her favorite memory from our youth was the one where I fell asleep on the phone and she came to my house and found me lying asleep on my bed with the phone cradled between the pillow and my ear. I woke her up from her drug induced sleep and we giggled for a minute as I teased her about finally getting me back for that. We exchanged love and I told her I would call every week.

She died before I called her back. God rest her soul, and God bless her beautiful daughters. My twin is gone from this life.

Face,
Always laughing
Always loving,
Always singing,
Me and you, one in two
Strength together
Finding tunnels through
Horrific youth
Burdened, abused
A child stepmother
Raising in ignorance
A vibrant you,
Navigating boys
Beaches, classes, friends
Together, like a one
That was two
We were a song
In Harmony

I will miss you Laura Ann Miller -Wilson, my precious Face. Please save a spot for me on the bus. I’ll see you at the other end and we can dance away eternity together.

22 comments:

qualcosa di bello said...

cat, my heart goes out to you. i am crying because your words kept bringing my closest girlfriend into my mind (she is in recovery from breast cancer & we *do* have an imaginary world that is a constant source of amazement/amusement to others in our lives) & they make me realize what a deep & true treasure this relationship is. may she rest in peace & may you be comforted, dear one.

Catherine Vibert said...

Qualcosa di bello thank you so much, I am glad you have that friendship and that your friend is recovering. Cherish every minute.

Anonymous said...

I'm all teary now.

You've given a great tribute to Laura. May the bonds already formed always endure.

Vesper said...

What a beautiful tribute, Cat...
I am deeply sorry for your loss.
In a way maybe it was better that you've been physically apart for a while... you've already learned to keep her in your heart and your memories... you can imagine she's still there...

Catherine Vibert said...

Jason & Vesper, thank you. And Vesper, what a good idea!

I don't think death separates the bond between people. In many ways I think it strengthens it.

Anonymous said...

I am so, so sorry. I am crying, too. My dear friend died of cancer a few years ago. I still mourn for her. I am sorry for your difficult time. But you have written a wonderful tribute for your friend. It sounds like a very special friendship that brought much joy for a long time.

Catherine Vibert said...

Julie, thank you so much, and I am sorry too for your loss. Cancer sucks! Anyway, I feel so much for her four lovely daughters right now and the tremendous loss they are experiencing of their beautiful mother. And my heart goes out to her boyfriend Eric too, and everyone there that loved her and cared for her as she fought that battle. She was fortunate to die peacefully with her four daughters and some friends around her in a moment of laughter.

K.Lawson Gilbert said...

So very touching a tribute. You have made us all weep here - reading your love imbued words. I am sorry for your deep pain in the loss of your dear friend. Your memories, warm and vivid, will see you through.

Blessings - Kaye

USAFA 82 said...

My eyes are watery... darn allergies...

What a beautiful tribute! My grandmother died from breast cancer. My mom had it, beat it, then another type of cancer took her. I hate cancer. It's claimed too many of my friends and family. I do what little I can, devoting my unused computer time to www.worldcommunitygrid.org. They have a cancer research project in addition to other diseases.

Laura was a sweet person. I can't remember what classes we had together, but she was a joy to be around.

Mike Eayrs, '78

qualcosa di bello said...

cat, you can bet i will.

& you will stay on my heart during this time...hugs to you.

Catherine Vibert said...

K, thank you my friend.

Mike E, Hello and welcome to another Highlander from my class of '78. I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. It seems like everyone has lost someone dear to them from cancer. So sad.

QDB, thank you sweetie, you are precious.

Sarah Hina said...

Cat, I am so sorry you lost your soul twin. But thank you for the chance to know her a little through your warm, inspired words. She lives in your poem and tribute. And your precious memory.

I wanted to say hello, too. :) I've seen you at many of the blogs I love, and have taken too long to introduce myself. You have a beautiful vision and home here. I hope to stop by more often!

Ed Meers said...

I lost two friends this summer and it seems surreal. It is amazing how much people impart to us throughout a lifetime; how they shape our thoughts and experiences...

Death is that one great mystery in life, but also the great equaliser. May its inevitabilty remind us to cherish everyone and every moment that we live.

I am so sorry for your loss, but she lives on in how your life was touched through her presence.

Catherine Vibert said...

Hi Sarah, it's nice to meet you. I too have noticed you on other blogs so it is good to finally connect. :-) And thank you.

Minister, what you say is so very true. This is a very beautiful part of death, I think that for a time it feels like the person who has died has split up into a million pieces of herself and it lights up everything that ever was the essence of that person inside each person that knew her.

I spent a lot of time dancing today to music used to love in the 70s. Nothing like a little Elton John to bring you back.

Cynthia said...

Beautiful, how lucky you both were
and are, to have such memories, to
know that once there was a friend
closer than a sister. Thank you
so much for sharing this personal
uplifiting part of your life.

Anonymous said...

You made me cry, Cat. What a beautiful and heartfelt tribute to your friend. Those stories were so bittersweet, so touching to read. I remember Laura as a sweet, kind and gentle soul. I did not share your deep bond, so I can only imagine your loss. My heart goes out to Laura's family -- and to you, her dear and devoted friend. I'm certain that your humor and strength helped Laura a great deal during the most difficult times. And I KNOW that she'll have that seat saved for you on the other side. My sympathies and prayers.

mom's friend said...

Cat, the ache around your heart will ease in years to come but never completely go away. I'm remembering my dear friend, Sunny, of over 35 years who died twelve years ago and I still miss her terribly. Just this morning I bought Almond Roca as I used to buy for her at Christmas time as it was her favorite and as I picked up the package in the store tears welled up with memories yet the tradition I just have to keep on this another Almond Roca package for Sunny at Christmas. Be grateful for your dear friend in your life and the dear friends in your life. There is a lesson in loss of loved ones and that is that we never, never take them for granted and let them know often that they are loved.

Catherine Vibert said...

Cynthia, EZ, and Mom's Friend, Thank you so much. So sad though this loss is, it is wonderful the way that death brings the living closer and makes all relationships more meaningful.

Rick said...

Hello Cat. I have never met you, but through your writings I feel your loss. Friends and family dying so hard. What you said about saving a seat on the bus brought tears to my eyes. Stay well and keep moving.

Fida said...

Beautiful, moving, and full of love. May you meet again. The memories will stay with you forever. Keep dancing with her!
Huggies from a misty eyed me!

Catherine Vibert said...

Rick, thank you so much, I will, I do, and soon I'll even be posting again.

Fida, you are such a sweetheart. Thank you.

Noelle Dunn.... A Poet in Progress said...

My heart hurts for your loss. May your memories build a bridge to bring you face to face again. Hugs, N.

Happy Easter, Pappy

It’s been seven years since you died on Mother’s Day. Mother’s Day and Easter were your favorite holidays. Being in the garden with your fam...