Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Where did all the words go?


It’s not that my brain went silent
Seems the opposite is true
It’s not that I don’t have opinions
I have many, yet don’t have a clue.

I tire of ultra soapboxing rants
Get mired in shoulds and woulds and can’ts
What’s real flies by without a glance
As I watch the world dig itself blue.

If I turn it all off and imagine
I could wipe it all down with a glove
And surround the world in white lights
With my magical powers of love,

I’d submerge the pain of seeing
Obliterating being
Essentially fleeing
Into soft pink clouds above.

Perhaps I should take a small pill
A dose that would give me a smile
So I’d laugh off the drama around me
And pretend that I don’t taste the bile,

But then I wouldn’t see trees
That bring me to my knees
And so I’m praying, please…
Help us move beyond denial.

But praying involves belief
In what? I do not know
And hoping is a fairy tale
As rusted stories show.

What else to do but stop
Like fish from water, flop
Take sponge and then a mop
And let the water flow.

A flood, perhaps is needed
To purge the grime involved
To clean the slate and start again
Zipped up now, problem solved.

Ha, not my jurisdiction
My job’s to feel the friction
I have no inner witch-dom
To make this world evolve.

And so I’ve become silent
I watch as words go by
And feel my heart that’s breaking
While tears gone numb, run dry.

I take me to my tasks
Put on a loving mask
And hope this will not last
While clinging to the lie. 

©2011 Catherine Vibert

8 comments:

Meaux said...

I live the whole thing-design concept-title, aphorisms, wondrous poem-bravo!

Stephen Parrish said...

I don't know enough poetry terminology to name the things I like about this. It's just very fun to read.

Aniket Thakkar said...

"Ha, not my jurisdiction
My job’s to feel the friction"

Ha. Loved these lines. I do believe we need to clean the slate and start over again too. How I wish the aliens to wipe out all the humans and give earth a reboot.

What? This wasn't what you meant? Well, ohkay. I still liked the poem a lot.

Catherine Vibert said...

Actually that is kind of what I meant in a kind of hope not kind of way. Thanks Aniket, great to see you over here!

Four Dinners said...

Hello Catty....thank you for your nice comment on 'The Clarity Of Night' regarding my effort in the competition.

If you would care to pop along to http://maximusspittimus.blogspot.com you can chat to my cats
....well...specifically The Emporer Maximus Spittimus....

cheers babe

4D x

by the way...I do like your blog!!

Catherine Vibert said...

@Four Dinners, thank you! I loved your entry. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Cat. Okay a totally different post showed up in my reader. And I loved it and that's what I was going to comment on and then I clicked on it and it's the (lovely) poem. And now when I hit the comments, the first post is up again. Very odd!!

About the post. I have more to say than I have time for, but let me just say this. You are one of those fantastically creative, sensitive, seeing people who needs an outlet for all of that, and so it doesn't surprise me AT ALL that you are talented in so many different areas. Not one bit. But I do get the push to focus. I'm not going to weigh in--it's like asking which child I like best. :)

As for the blogging thing. I miss the old community, too, but I get that it is not really there anymore. At least not here. And probably, for each of us, for good reasons. I have started (tentatively) because sometimes I have things to say and I miss the dialogue. I never felt quite a part of it commenting without contributing myself.

But.

As you know our extended family had bad news this weekend, and I just wanted to be in the real world. I didn't even turn on a computer and barely checked my email on my phone. So who knows where the balance will take me.

But I will still keep coming here. It's good to "find you" again after so long. I think that we will all keep finding each other, after whatever time passes where we come in and out of the virtual world. And that, my friend, feels very "real." :)

Okay, more on the poem later. :)

Catherine Vibert said...

JAZ, I am so grateful for your comment! And it highlights that there was indeed a glitch in the midlife crisis post so I just deleted and reposted it, it seems to finally be working. Anyway, thank you so much, your words are gems to me and I cherish them. I'm so sorry about the family issue, so very sorry. :-(

Happy Easter, Pappy

It’s been seven years since you died on Mother’s Day. Mother’s Day and Easter were your favorite holidays. Being in the garden with your fam...